CTSSFrequently asked questions
What are the drivers for health terminology standards?
- Increased demands for accessibility of data (e.g., transitions across care, clinical decision support, etc.)
- Expanding clinical priorities to meet the aging population with limited resources
- Currently limited standardization and use of standards for health record content in a coordinated and collaborative manner
- Information sharing is complex and resource intensive, as multiple standards are in use within and across multiple sectors
- Opportunities for enhanced information governance and data governance with increased sharing of digital health information across broader health care organizations and providers
Who should become certified in terminology standards?
The terminology standards designation is for health care professionals who are passionate about data definitions, classifications and coding, EHR interoperability, data exchange and terminology standards, reference terminologies, and privacy and security. HIM professionals currently working in terminology standards roles would benefit from obtaining this designation and be recognized by potential and current employers as skilled and knowledgeable professionals in the terminology standards field.
What are the job opportunities in terminology standards?
Terminology standards roles have increased in importance since the implementation of digital health systems and applications. The importance of relevant and accurate data in a digital health system reflects the increased importance of terminology standards roles. The increased use of terminology standards in digital health solutions has produced evolving roles, including senior standards analyst, terminology specialist, clinical terminology standards specialist, and many more.
Who employs certified terminology standards specialists?
Certified terminology standards specialists have job opportunities in eHealth organizations across Canada, private consulting firms, ministries/agencies/departments of health, hospitals, and many more organizations.