CHIM external graduate pathway
To be eligible for the external graduate pathway, the Canadian College of Health Information Management (College) requires proof of the following:
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree, including formal courses in human anatomy and pathophysiology;
- A minimum of 3 years of recent (within the last 5 years) work experience in the HIM, HI, or eHealth field in an intermediate position or higher; and
- Combined education and experience to meet, at a minimum, 70% of the Learning Outcomes for Health Information Management (LOHIM) document
Step 2: The College will send a competency gap assessment directly to the email address provided. Complete this document by highlighting formal education and relevant work experience.
Step 3: Upon purchasing the CHIM external graduate assessment and completing the competency gap assessment, please submit the following required supporting documentation to [email protected] to initiate the review process.
- Letter of intent
- Proof of English language proficiency (overall IELTS must be 7.0 with no individual score lower than 6.0; the College may make exceptions for applicants who studied university in an English-speaking country)
- Undergraduate and or graduate transcript(s)
- Course outlines for the completed program of study (generally available from the graduating institution)
- Two (2) professional reference letters confirming HIM-related experience within the past three (3) years
- Professional resume outlining HIM work experience
- Completed competency gap assessment
Step 4: The College reviews all required documentation. The time frame for review can vary depending on the number of assessments being processed.
Step 5: The College emails the candidate a letter outlining outstanding gaps in education and experience. Gaps must be filled by taking a formal course(s) from one or more online HIM programs accredited by the College. Once complete, a transcript showing completion can be sent to [email protected]
Step 6: The College emails the candidate a final letter confirming eligibility to write the CHIM national certification examination.